We spent Saturday visiting the area. Monday, May 31, 2010
What were you doing...
...30 years ago on May 18th? Don't worry, I don't remember either. But anyone who lived here in Washington I'm sure remembers. This is what happened:
We spent Saturday visiting the area.
This picture shows the mudflow area. Even after 30 years it still looks like another planet.
A stump of one of the trees that was blown off in the blast.
This hillside still shows the effects of the blast. To me, it looked as though the hill was made of play-dough and the force of the blast just flattened it a bit. The National Park Service has done a fantastic job of preserving the area, so it looks just as it did all those years ago.
We are in Washington after all, so cloudy skies are the norm. But I promise you, the ever-forming dome is somewhere behind those clouds. If it were a sunny day, one could see that the dome is almost as tall as the Seattle Space Needle, and growing more every year.
This is a lake that was formed by the mudslides caused by the eruption. The way that nature healed herself is absolutely astounding.
And I'll leave you with this picture that typifies a Northwest forest... clover, moss and ferns. -April
We spent Saturday visiting the area.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Looks like you guys had a fun time;) I remember Grandma May called us and said she had Ash on her porch.
I don't remember any of it......because I wasn't born!!! Zing!
Glad you guys had a fun time. That's another place here in Warshington that I still need to visit.
We visited Washington shortly after it happened. I remember "Grab Your Ash and Run" tshirts. And I definitely didn't understand the impact of Mt. St. Helens!
Post a Comment