Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ethics and Morality


I have really learned a lot the past few days on the above topics. I thought I knew what they were, but had a heck of a time helping Caleb understand them. See, Caleb is getting ready for his Yellow Belt advancement in Tae kwon do. The school he is in "emphasizes the mental as well as physical aspects of the art". He is required to write a report on a different topic with each advancement and this time the question is "What are ethics and morality?" Heavy stuff for an almost 9 year old. Together we did some research on-line. Let me share with you what he came up with (80% his own words):

Ethics answers questions such as "What is right and wrong?" and "What is good and bad?". It can help me make informed decisions. An ethical person will make the right decision even if no one is looking.
A moral person has manners, character, proper behavior, and is honest. My morals have been taught to me by my parents, and other trusted adults. They help me make good decisions, respect others, and contribute to society.

I am really proud of him. He did such a good job putting into words what I struggled to do. Even though it is weighty material for him, he seems to grasp it well, and I hope he will remember his definitions as he goes through his life. I hope I can, too! - April

No comments: