Thursday, January 6, 2011

SAM

Today we furthered Caleb's education by helping him ditch/sluff/skip/play hookey from school by going to the Seattle Art Museum to see this:
No, maybe it was this:
Hold on, maybe it was this:
Okay... I've got it. We went to see the Picasso exhibit. It was amazing....ly crowded! Stand in line to buy tickets, stand in line to check coats, stand in line for our allotted time to view the exhibit, stand in line to look at the paintings, stand in line to buy the magnet that says were were there. (Which, by the way, isn't of a painting we actually saw, nor does it say SAM. It is of Man of La Mancha. Oh well.)
Since we were unable to take pictures of the pieces we did see, here's a sampling of what was there.
Bathers

Man in a straw hat with an ice cream cone

L'acrobat
While I have seen other Picasso pieces in different museums, it was a bit overwhelming to see so many in one place. These were mostly pieces he kept in his own studio, for his own collection, knowing one day he would put them in a museum. As he said, "Give me a museum and I will fill it." It was a great experience. I'm not sure Abby will remember much, but Caleb sure has a new perspective of the human face!

2 comments:

Plain City Dickamores said...

Wow!! what an awesome day!!!! I would have loved to have gone, maybe they will bring it to Utah:)

ray-ray says said...

That does sound like a fun day. Nothing like looking at scribbles to make kids feel like they can be famous artists, too! :)