Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mary Poppins was right

A friend of mine told me of her sure-fire way to get rid of the hiccups.  Just give the affected person a tablespoon of lemon juice.  Yep, straight from the bottle.   I'm not sure exactly why, but it works!  Today Abby has had the hiccups off and on all day.  The first time, she took the lemon juice not knowing what to expect.  Well, a few hours later, she was wise to me and the yellow bottle and refused to open her mouth. Then Mary Poppins and her "spoon full of sugar" song popped into my head.  I convinced Abby that if she would take the lemon juice, I'd then dip the spoon into some sugar and give that to her.  She was all over that!  And it worked.  The next time she got the hiccups, she practically ran to the kitchen.  A spoon full of sugar really does help this medicine to down! - April

2 comments:

ray-ray says said...

Lily and Blake can give her lessons on eating sugar with a spoon...they're experts!

I'll have to try the lemon juice thingy, the next time the hiccups show-up.

P Kirkwood said...

So my kids have converted you to lemon juice, huh? Abby was probably so surprised by the taste because Evan and Anna rush for the lemon juice when they get the hiccups. I'm not sure how we figured it out, but happy to have passed it on. ;) Hope you are having a happy vacation. -Pam